At The Good Spa Guide, we strongly believe in inner beauty. Saying that, if there are things we can do to improve our outer beauty, who are we to argue?
Each bit of your body poses different challenges in the pursuit of looking good. Of course, eating well, exercising regularly and taking time to de-stress are the only things that will maintain your looks long term, but what about when you need a quick beauty blitz? Good Spa Guide to the rescue...
Facials for flawless skin
Few things in the looking-good world are as highly coveted as glowing skin, but which combination of cleanse-tone-moisturise, or which special gadget can guarantee to leave you fresh-faced?
To find the best facial, first think about what you're trying to achieve.
For skin that needs a lift, or wrinkles that need smoothing:
- A galvanic facial uses micro-currents to tone muscles and help cleansing and moisturising products to be absorbed into the skin. Try a course of CACI non-surgical facelifts or a Carita Pro-lift facial– the results will speak for themselves.
- During an oxygen facial, your skin is blasted with jets of oxygen. The concept is that the high-pressure oxygen drives vitamins and nutrients into the skin and increases the absorption of moisture. Users can experience instantaneous plumping of the skin and visible reduction in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It is worth bearing in mind that the instantaneous plumping is most likely a mild inflammatory response to the high-pressure oxygen application, but the results can last up to 48 hours, making this the perfect treatment for a special occasion.
For skin lacking a healthy glow:
- Microdermabrasion is a non-invasive treatment that removes the very top layer of your skin. Your therapist will use a tool that sprays very fine crystals onto your skin. The crystals loosen the top skin cells, then these are vacuumed off to leave fresh, clean skin. Your skin may look a little red and blotchy straight afterwards, but after a couple of days, you'll look perfectly radiant.
- If you think your skin may be too sensitive for microdermabrasion, then a facial that incorporates a gentle enzyme peel is a good alternative. Instead of abrasive particles, your therapist will apply a mask that contains gentle natural acids (AHAs). These peels are available in varying strengths, with some suitable for the more sensitive amongst us.
There are facials to suit any skin type and concern; if you're still not sure, try a prescriptive facial where your therapist will choose a combination of products and techniques she feels best suited to your skin.
Most facials won't cure everything in one attempt, so consider trying a course of when you've found one you like to achieve the best results.
Scrub your way to smoother skin
If you get into a conversation with pretty much any woman about body image, it's guaranteed that they will attach the "worst feature" label to their boobs, bums, thighs or tums. Women carry more fat cells than men in these areas, and that is just the beginning of the battle. Cellulite, dull skin, stretch marks, sagging, lack of tone and a plethora of wobbly bits are just a few of the afflictions we deal with in these most troublesome areas.
- A simple and effective way to improve your skin tone is to smooth and buff your skin with a scrub or body polish. Combining moisturising oils, gels or creams with exfoliants, these treatments boost circulation, scrub away dead skin cells, and leave you baby-soft and radiant.
- Ionithermie body treatments utilise electronic pulse technology that firms, tones and reduces the appearance of cellulite. Some spa treatments include an invigorating body exfoliation or mud mask, before the muscle-stimulating currents are applied.
When it comes to whole-body beauty, your commitment to looking good has to stretch beyond the cool white walls of a spa.
- The various "slimming" wraps on offer are very much a short-term solution, but do claim to help you lose inches in just a couple of hours. You simply aren't going to get thin permanently by lying around wrapped in bandages. (You knew that really, didn't you?) However, weight-loss wraps are a fantastic option for a special occasion, as the results can be impressive even though -- we cannot stress this enough -- short-lived.
- Another way to help your body remain in tip-top condition is by having regular massages. Massage helps to relax your muscles, and de-stress your soul but, in addition, the right massage can help with your posture, and help to detoxify your body. A better posture will ensure you are showcasing all you have in the best possible light, and the process of detoxification can help with bloating, dull skin and much more.
A manicure or pedicure can lift both your look-good and feel-good factors.
- Don't just have your nails polished: try a pedicure with a complete buff and polish of all the hard skin for very sweet feet.
- When it comes to a manicure, try a paraffin-wax treatment, too. Your hands will look good and feel soft.
Get your beauty sleep!
We know you treat your body with the respect it deserves: it's the only way to lusciousness in the long run. But don't forget the most miraculous beauty-fix there is: When in doubt, practise the Good Spa Guide motto: "It's always nice to have a bit of a lie down".